The tree trimmer was here the other day and trimmed back most of this very crooked tree. He said it was a "nacua," which I'd never heard of. Will have to look it up. One of the trunks is completely gone, as it was leaning towards the back of the garage and would have eventually fallen and done considerable damage. I decided to leave what you see in the photo to create a new outdoor weaving project. Today, I completely most of the framework for what will eventually be a very colorful outdoor addition.
Round 1, February 10, BFL (not superwash). Several layers of color on all four of these. News to me: Juniper splits. Brick splits, too, but I expected that. And would you believe the one on the right started with hot pink? I love the unpredictable changes that occur in the crock pot. Can't wait for Round 2 (Corriedale and Finn tops); they're soaking in the pot as I ty
Lately, I've been a bit obsessed with dyeing fiber and so I thought today would be the perfect day to experiment with a little solar dyeing while I was in Austin at a spinning get-together. I put some mohair locks in mason jars with dye, water and a tablespoon of vinegar and left them in the sun in the driveway while I was gone, about 8 hours total. By the time I got back, they were cool and all I had to do was rinse them and lay them out to dry. The purple is leftover dye bath from yesterday's dye session; the yellow is sun yellow, the blue is cornflower blue (which sometimes tends to split) and the green is key lime. I'm pretty pleased with the results and will do this again on another warm, sunny day. The locks are destined for art .
Lydia Kendrick, Fiber Artist, self-employed, home studio business in San Marcos, Texas